How Do I Renew a Teaching Certificate in Pennsylvania?
- July 9, 2020
- Posted by: The Teachers Academy
- Category: Educator Resources / News
Every five years, teachers in Pennsylvania are required to renew their professional educator certification, in accordance with Act 48 of 1999. Act 48 requires that an educator complete any of the following in order to maintain a valid teaching certificate:
- Six credits of collegiate study;
- Six in-service credits, as approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education;
- 180 hours of continuing education programs, through a PDE-approved provider;
- A combination of the above options (each semester of college credit is worth 30 continuing education hours, while each quarter of college credit is worth 20 hours).
The purpose of Act 48 is to help teachers grow and acquire new skills so that they can continue to meet the needs of modern students. At The Teachers Academy, that’s our mission, too!
What courses can I take to renew my teaching certificate?
We’re glad you asked! Philadelphia area teachers can earn Act 48 hours online via the extensive catalog of courses available here at The Teachers Academy. We are a PDE-approved provider offering a wide variety of continuing education courses spanning all major subject areas, so you’re sure to find something — or multiple somethings — to suit your specific interests.
Our courses range in length from 3 hours to 18 hours, so if you need just a few hours to fulfill your requirements or the full 180, we can be your one-stop-shop! Here are just a few examples of the thought-provoking courses we offer.
- Internet Research, Cyber Safety, and Social Media
- Google Docs for Educators
- Nutrition 101
- Differentiation in the Classroom
- Mindfulness in Education
- Cyber Bullying Facts and Prevention
Please feel free to visit our website to take a look at our entire course list. One example we’d like to highlight this month is our College and Career Readiness course. The topics covered in this 18-hour course are particularly relevant for teachers looking to evolve with the ever-changing 21st Century educational landscape.
Here’s a quick rundown of what College and Career Readiness covers:
For more information about this or any of our other professional development courses for teachers in Montgomery County and the surrounding region, browse our website or feel free to contact us today!